The conservative movement’s fight against radical leftist “indoctrination” in education is failing. From the moment children enter the education system, they are bombarded with far leftist orthodoxy. The structures of public education in America have become bastions for ideas and ideals that are alien to our nation’s core principles. Instead of celebrating the United States for the beacon of freedom it is, students are taught that America has long been a bad actor and a source of evil in the world.
Why is the conservative fight failing?
- Starting too late – Conservatives have an outsized focus on college campuses, but this overlooks the K-12 exposure that engulfs and molds our children
- Lack of resources – The radical left dedicates approximately $1,311,000,000 a year in not-for-profit/organizational funding towards the education system whereas conservatives only contribute $5,200,000 a year
- Systemic biases – The education system has been overtaken by leftist orthodoxy. This can be attributed to a lack of conservative educators as well as the insertion of leftist ideals into state mandated curriculum and educational resources
- Unwillingness to get involved – Conservatives focus on going into business, law, medicine, and other professions at a much higher rate compared to radical leftists
Why is this fight important?
- Loss of unity – The education system had long been the melting pot of America where children of all backgrounds would learn what it means to be an American and be taught the values that we as a nation cherish. Now the education system fails at this most basic task, and has become a divider instead of a unifier
- Loss of understanding – Without comprehension of our history and our government, students will fail at their civic responsibilities
- Loss of patriotism – By being taught the far left version of American history, students lose sight of the miracle that is the United States and the momentous challenges that were overcome to make us what we are today
When you look at the curriculum set forth by various states and groups such as the College Board (AP programs), it is clear that our children are being taught the Howard Zinn version of American history. A history without American heroes and without American greatness. In this version of history, America is founded on lies, and America is always the bad guy. If this type of education persists, our nation will lose what unites us as a people, which is our shared values and history as Americans.
We cannot afford to lay idle while falsehoods about America permeate the education system. That is where The Locke Society comes in. By developing a fact-based curriculum, promoting the dissemination of materials that support our shared values as Americans, and encouraging the conservative youth to pursue careers in public and private education we can turn the tide against the radical leftist orthodoxy that has come to dominate our nation’s classrooms.